The West side from the North.
The Eastern Viaduct, gantries, but no tracks
The East side from the North
From the air looking South
From a photo by Hodowca
(Click to see original and details of licensing.)
The Eastern viaduct looking South
The Eastern and Western viaducts. Google Maps
(The picture can be enlarged, zoomed, scrolled or switched to map view.)
Lodz Kaliska Station is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma. A 20 year long rebuilding project was suddenly terminated just before its completion. The old station, an attractive building in the art noveau style, was built in 1902 for the broad (Russian) gauge Warsaw – Kalisz Railway.
The construction of a new station commenced in 1985. The project was jointly financed by Lodz City, Lodz Province and PKP, and managed by PKP’s construction office in Warsaw, by-passing PKP’s Estate Office in Lodz. Predictably, like all major PKP construction projects, the work missed successive completion deadlines and ran massively over budget. Then, in 1994, after all the new infrastructure work was complete, the project was suddenly terminated leaving the virtually complete facilities on the East side abandoned.
A massive viaduct across Al. Bandurskiego was left uncommissioned without even sealing the concrete deck against penetration by water. A tunnel providing direct access from the station hall to the bus station was simply abandoned. Now trees and vegetation cover the former building site which looks like more like a bunker from WW II than a building site abandoned in 1995.
Perhaps, if the planned high speed line across Poland ever gets built, Lodz Kaliska will one day be completed.